Investing heavily in artificial intelligence has been a long-term goal for Meta. Meta has made several statements in recent months emphasizing their dedication to AI, such as:
- Phase 2 of its artificial intelligence supercomputer, the Research Super Cluster, is now complete (RSC). The RSC, which is one of the world’s fastest AI supercomputers, will help Meta train larger and more complex AI models.
- Creation of the world’s first AI model-specific silicon chip. Meta will be able to run more AI models in parallel with this CPU since it will be more efficient and powerful than current chips.
- With the unveiling of its AI-optimized data center layout. With this layout, deploying AI models at scale will be less cumbersome and more productive.
Meta is not only spending extensively on technology, but also on artificial intelligence study. Almost 10,000 AI researchers work for the firm, which is developing several innovative AI products like:
Generative AI: Meta is working on generative AI models that can make convincing and interesting media. New forms of social media content, advertisements, and even digital environments may all be possible with the help of such models.
Natural Language Processing: Meta is working on NLP models that can comprehend and interact with natural language input from humans. These models might be used to enhance Meta’s existing products and to create innovative AI-driven software.
Computer Vision: The term “computer vision” is used to refer to both the field of AI and the principal purpose of that science, which is to do something meaningful with the information contained in digital still photographs and videos. Meta is spending a lot of money on computer vision R&D since it intends to use it in a lot of different products.
Some of the ways in which Meta’s AI advancement might challenge Google and OpenAI are as follows:
- Meta’s AI models are more versatile than those of Google and OpenAI since they are trained on a larger dataset of text and code.
- To facilitate the adoption and development of its AI models and datasets by other businesses, Meta is making them freely available to the public as open source.
- Meta is funding artificial intelligence (AI) studies in areas like conversational AI and translation that are important to the company’s operations. This has the potential to offer Meta an edge in the market.
In July of 2023, Meta made public its acquisition of Meena, an artificial intelligence firm. Meena is an artificially intelligent chatbot that can carry on lively and genuine conversations with people. Meena will be used to enhance Meta’s conversational AI features, including those seen in Facebook Messenger and Instagram Direct. Meta introduced their latest artificial intelligence model, Paris, in August 2023. Paris is a massive language model that provides extremely precise translations between languages. Paris will be used by Meta to enhance the quality of translations in applications like Facebook Translate and WhatsApp.